- Work from verbal and/or written instructions. Use fairly complex blueprints and work with such materials as aluminum, bronze, steel in such forms as castings, forgings, plate or bar. May also perform work on plastic or fiber materials.
- Select proper feeds, speeds and work holding equipment to assure maintenance of very close tolerances and required finish. Select and assure proper condition of cutting tools.
- Use standard fixed gauges, micrometers, vernier calipers, dial indicator, gage blocks, height gage or other measuring devices to set up and check work.
- Mill and turn a variety of castings, forgings, plates, bars and parts, ferrous and non-ferrous to close tolerances on any milling machine and/or lathe, and using any all attachments and boring attachments.
- Check for quality using a variety of measuring devices.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
3 to 5 years trade training.
3 to 5 years experience in milling machine/lathe set-up (Machinist B)
5 to 10 years experience in programming and in setting up CNC and horizontal boring mills (Machinist A)
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.