This position will operate a variety of industrial sewing machines in the production of USAF flight suits and NASA spacesuits. Must work from patterns, industrial drawings, and samples.
The requirements listed below are representative of the essential duties required:
- Read and utilize patterns, industrial drawings, and samples as required for suit construction.
- Use of a commercial sewing machine.
- Stitching X-stitch, zigzag, serge, and binding type stitching.
- Use of a variety of materials such as nylon, a canvas-like material, and thick rubber-like materials.
- Other duties as required.
- General Stitching abilities ideally using a commercial machine.
- Well versed in the U.S. measuring system, fractions of an inch especially.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Able to work from patterns, prints, or samples.
- Attention to detail and strong communication skills required.
- Capability to work with heavier material.
- Position does not require any previous experience working with office software.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 1-3 Year Experience in related field.
- Experience with sewing machines and experience with a variety of stitches, commercial experience preferred.
- Basic, introductory on-the-job training.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Manual dexterity to move fabric through sewing machine.
- Physical strength as required for certain materials.
- Occasional physical exertion including some lifting of objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
Mental & Visual Demands
- Attention to small details.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Work is routine and consistent from day to day.
- Visual effort, need to be able to see very small details.
- Work requires frequent visual effort for extended periods of time.
Work Environment and Hazards
- Factory not temperature controlled.
- Use of a commercial sewing machine, caution in regards to hands at all times while using.
- Safety glasses required, provided by the company if needed.
- Occasional exposure to dust, heat and other environmental factors that may at times be objectionable.
- Some exposure to hazards that might cause minor injury.